Saturday, May 28, 2011

Cherries +++

Yesterday we canned the first of the year....sweet cherries....there was a big one day sale at a local store so we bought enough to can 14 pints...these will be so nice this winter....it was hot work but well worth it.....
                               had enough left over to enjoy now....these are so sweet and good....
We also got a few early tomatoes.....
This is one of the heirloom varieties....Amish Paste....very good...most of the tomato plants are loaded now with green ones so it won't be long...I am planning on making a homemade pizza using some goat cheese and fresh tomatoes...it sounds good anyway.......
The corn is doing well and is over knee high already...and you can see how the tomato plants have grown..we have a total of 54 plants.....most of them are heirloom and just a few hybrid......haven't had any bug problems thanks to Mrs. Q.....but we are having squirrel problems.....the darn critters ate 3 tomato seedlings this last week so we put the live trap out...have caught a total of 5 squirrels so far...we take them out into the country and let them go......

I want to wish everyone a happy Memorial Day...I won't be posting again until after the holiday. Our weather has been so wonderful..its just too nice to stay inside!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, those cherries look so good!
    I miss our cherry tree every spring because of the delicious blossoms, but now I miss the cherries, too. Cherry cobbler, cherry pie, and my favorite--cherry preserves.....
    You have a beautiful garden, Dani!
    I'd say lucky you, but I know it takes a lot of work.
    Enjoy your holiday!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Dani, those cherries look fabulous! And your garden is awesome, Do you have a scarecrow for the squirrels?

    It is already to hot here to be outside much but this evening I sat out and looked at the stars, it is wonderful the sun sets.

    I agree, Happy Memorial Day and enjoy the weather where you are.
    Smiles, cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Garden Dani...
    our garden is doing fairly well
    too.. because of the nice mild
    early summer we are having
    TFS enjoyed ...
    Happy Memorial Day...Blessings
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to admit, I am completely envious of your tomatoes. It's going to be a while before I see any in my garden. Must remember to learn canning, as well. Those cherries look like they'd make wonderful cheesecake toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful garden!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?