Monday, August 24, 2009

This little guy is the culprit.....if you click on the photo, you will see he is munching on one of our cherry tomatoes..sweet life for him....he and his mate have take up residence in the retaining wall and cheerfully raid our garden, not only eating the tomatoes, but also snagging bird seed from the feeder and getting water from the bird bath.......I don't really mind as we have plenty but Alan considers their residence a challenge especially when, today, we spotted him climbing up our small young apple tree and trying to get the one apple hanging on the branch....that's going a little too far.......the little guy hasn't discovered the fig tree yet but its only a matter of time....Alan sits out on the patio, patiently waiting with loaded BB gun but so far, its squirrel 1, Alan 0.....
I can just imagine the squirrels sitting in their cool underground nest, peering out and seeing the human in the heat, chuckling to themselves.

as you can see, our ground squirrels are rather a rough bunch, more like junk yard squirrels, not near as handsome as the Midwest red tree squirrels, their cousins....with their pretty coloring and big fluffy tails....
Most of the garden is gone, but we do have our tomatoes left.....I will be sad when they are gone, we are getting so spoiled......we did plant two new tomato plants, two Big Beefy tomatoes...we didn't really have enough to can, I did make some terrific sauce the other day which we enjoyed.
Next year, its going to be more tomatoes, maybe about 25 plants or so as they grew the best.

Remember, I was telling you how high sugar was going to get? one of our local markets is selling 10 lb. bags for almost $6.00.....I am going to check around and see if I can find some cheaper...and that was the store brand......

Lastly, my dear aunt sent me a link to the most beautiful site.........and I wanted to pass it on to you...so sit back, and be sure to turn your sound on Colors

6 comments:

  1. LOL, what a stinkery stinker of a squirrel livin' the good life eating on your tomatoes:) They're cute but can be ruthless in their quest, they eat my walnuts and apples every fall but they're comical to watch! Have a wonderful day Dani:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The website is a beautiful respite - thank you! I am not a fan of squirrels either ground or tree dwelling - little varmints so I have full sympathy with your Alan. I'm buying a big sack of sugar each time we go to Costco - just the 10 lb not their huge industrial sized - not a good place to store much. We didn't get much out of our summer tomatoes - I'm going to plant a small fall garden and see what we get. Congrats on your good harvests for first year it was definitely impressive.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love squirrels. We always have water and dried corn out for them. They accidentally were imported into Midland about 12 years ago, on some pecan trees shipped here. One of the squirrels will come right up to us, very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your blog. We have some "pet squirrels" at work. They come to the window and we feed them. We've named three of them already!

    Come visit my blog
    www.thehousemysteries.typepad.com

    I make jewelry and write murder mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute post, Dani... I think the squirrels are a nuisance, too- they carry off all our bird seed and would get corn out of the chicken coops if they could. (Hamburger scares them away!)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?