Monday, August 3, 2009

Guess who this is?

We drove up to Riverside today to rekey a foreclosed house....very weird...when we first drove up, we weren't sure if there someone living there or not...it looked occupied..but when we called the realtor, he assured us it was empty....it was also open..both the slider in the back and the front door....when I opened the slider for the first time..I heard rustling and something skittering away....never did find out what it was...
there were cat litter pans everywhere..plus empty cans of cat food on the floor, and the smell was intense..we saw no cats though.
The kitchen looked like someone had just stepped out...very odd..there were groceries in the pantry...I checked the dates on the homemade strawberry jam that was in there....June 1988....
There was alot of furniture, mostly Danish..and a very nice oak upright piano in the living room
(wish I could take that home)..clothes in the closets too..very dirty and dusty though..lots of cobwebs...
we went to work and re keyed 8 locks, secured the windows (the old crank kind) and had trouble as things kept going missing......we couldn't find several locks after we had taken them out.
Once I put a lock down to remove another one..when I went to get it, a huge water bug was sitting on it..yuck..good thing I am not squisism about such things.
The home appraiser came by and introduced herself..she said the owner had died and had over 10 cats....which had been removed several weeks prior.. she had been there two weeks ago but couldn't get in...which surprised me as the house was open when we arrived.

The outside looked as bad as the inside but it was in a nice neighborhood of older houses..probably built in the 1950s....all the other homes were in good repair..

I imagined the kids in the neighborhood probably thought of the house as the "spook house"..I almost imagined the same....Alan and I didn't know if it could be saved as it was in terrible repair..lots of wood rot and termite damage..it was surrounded by falling down fences too...like I always say..each job is different. It took us over 2 hours to re key which is very unusual even with 8 locks..we finally found the locks that disappeared, in places we know we didn't put them...spoooky!

Did you guess? Me of course, back in good old 1951....

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, that is REALLY an unsettling story! VERY odd!!! Glad you weren't rekeying this house anywhere near Halloween...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that little curl on top - so cute!

    That's kinda weird about things going missing...hmmm...believe in ghosts? I don't, but there are sometimes things that cannot be explained...twilight zone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe in ghosts much either..but this was really strange..first time its every happened to us...and I didn't exaggerate either....we were both happy to leave, that's for sure. I feel sorry for whoever is hired to clean it out..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Dani..what a story..kind of creepy and kind of interesting..The picture of you is adorable...do you have it displayed anywhere in your house...I have one section in my hall for pictures of me and Billy when real little..maybe I will post it in my blog one day..It actually resembles the one of you..must be the expression on our face huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spooky indeed...we DO possess much energy and maybe sometimes that energy stays on after we check out. Who knows.......

    You were a cute kid! We must have been born in the same year or about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does sound really weird, kinda like the Twilight Zone or something. Maybe it was haunted, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes... what a creepy story!!
    Cute picture of you, Dani!!
    "You must have been a beautiful baa-bee..."

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?