Monday, November 3, 2014

Pie!

Oh! It's fall now here in Southern California and with it comes baking. At least in our house. I've been baking pies lately, two last week, one of which was this Sweet Potato Pie. Personally, I prefer sweet potato to pumpkin any day of the week,it seems to have a  richer flavor. The other pie I made was an apple raisin...
Earlier in the last week, I made a batch of pie crusts and have them in the freezer. Any time I feel like baking, its easy to thaw them out and get going on the fun part. If you need a good pie crust recipe, you'll find it here!
I used a sugar free apple pie filling for the apple pie and added raisins.. So I won't share any special recipe.
Here is the recipe for the Sweet Potato Pie and its a good one.

Sweet Potato Pie

1 lb of sweet potatoes
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 cup white sugar ( I used Splenda)
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1.2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla
1 9" unbaked pie crust
Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40-50 minutes or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato and remove the skin.
Break apart the sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into a unbaked pie crust.
Baking at 350 for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink as it cools. Serve with whipped cream.
The only thing I'd do differently would be to add a bit more spice..I'd up the nutmeg and cinnamon to a teaspoon each



1 comment:

  1. Ooo girl, I love sweet potatoe pie, I'm going to make this one. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?