Monday, October 14, 2013

Another Frugal and Delicious Dish

The kids had brought home a marinated pork shoulder roast, I guess they were on sale and although it was all gone by the time I discovered they'd cooked it, the little I tasted was so good, I thought the next day, I'd go to the grocery store and pick one up for us. Well, to make a long story short, the marinated roasts were no longer on sale, boo! and the price was way out of our budget. The smallest one was way over $15.00.
 I looked around and found pork shoulder picnic roast on sale, remembering that the .99 cent chef did a post on them, I bought it and was pleasantly surprised on how good it was..so thought I'd share the link for the recipe, BBQ Pulled Pork. 
I boiled the roast with chopped onion for about 5 hours, and then put it in a 350 oven for an hour with more of the dry rub. Its so yummy, falls apart good and great for burritos, tacos, BBQ pulled pork sandwiches and anything else you can think of. I have a large bowl of shredded pork in the fridge and figure we had enough for about 4 meals (!) which is great as the roast itself was only $5.00. The rub isn't overly spicy, just right. This photo is from the .99 Chef website.

 If you haven't visited his website, you will find many yummy recipes that are very frugal indeed. We're getting a .99 Cent store within walking distance which is great for us. Yes, you can eat well on a minimum budget if you look for specials and sales, and cook from scratch. Growing our own vegetables helps too, and I love looking at our canned tomatoes, beets, vegetables, soups and such in the outdoor cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking?