Saturday, July 6, 2013

Poinsettias in July and Mid Summer Crops

Something I haven't shared, last Christmas we got two poinsettia plants which we all enjoyed through out the holidays. afterwards, I planted both of them in a pot on our patio. One of the plants didn't make it but one did and its beautiful....


I'm hoping it will bloom this winter and it loves the heat of the summer as long as its under the shade cloth..I water it often as its a tropical plant. So it is possible to save this for another year and it would make a lovely house plant even if it didn't bloom. At least I think so. I don't have many house plants because of the cats and grandchild but I used to keep our house full of pretty plants back in the day. I know there have been rumors that poinsettias are poisonous but that is have shown to be false for the most part. No worries.
We're well into summer now, July, August and September are hot months and our heat goes well into October sometimes. The garden, except for the tomatoes are about done. We harvested the pumpkins and have them in the house, hopefully if they're kept cool, they will last for the fall. I've kept pumpkins for months that way. There are plants that we can start at this season, pole beans, winter squash and pumpkins to name a few. Carrots, brussel spouts and broccoli are good too. Here is an article from Black Fox Homestead about crops that be planted mid-summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking?