Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday News

While growing up..my dad would always rave about his mom's molasses cookies..finally, Mama got a little fed up and asked Grandma what recipe she used.......my grandmother wrinkled her brow thinking and then said.."Oh, you mean the ones we bought at the bakers?" He never again mentioned them..LOL but in honor of these remembered delights..today I made baked some....

Molasses Crinkles
Mix together throughly......
 3/4 c. soft shortening
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
Sift together and stir in....
2 1/4 c.  flour
2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cloves
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger
Chill dough. Roll into balls the size of large walnuts. Dip tops in sugar. Place sugared side up, 3" apart on greased cooky sheet. Sprinkle each cooky with 2 or 3 drops of water to produce a crackled surface. Bake just until set but not hard. 375 degrees for about 10-12 minutes..makes about 4 dozen, 2 1/2" cookies....
the recipe came from my old Betty Crocker 1950 cookbook so I think Mama, Grandma, and Dad would approve.


Our weather has been a little strange...it was cold and windy. all last week...and now its in the high 70s and 80s. Very windy again with Santa Anna winds......(I swept the patio but think it was a wasted effort).....our thoughts have been turning to the garden again....got our spring catalogs in the mail last week....aren't they fun to look through? everything looks so wonderful! Last year we planted alot of heirloom tomatoes but they didn't do well.....were small and not suitable for canning......this year, I hope it will be better....alot depends on the weather.......
as I am typing this, I can hear Jayden giggling in the other room. He is getting more and more cute if that is possible..at least this grandma thinks so.....
He fell asleep in my arms the other evening when we were babysitting....such a sweetheart!

6 comments:

  1. Those cookies look yummy! I don't think I've ever tried molasses cookies. =]

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite cookies Dani and as soon as Fred comes up here tomorrow with my farm egs (brown eggs) I may try a batch. Billy doesn't like the fresh eggs..thinks they are 2 rich but I like them and the price is good(1.00 dz)
    Am busy writing more celebs and actually researching about them so I can mention some things in my letters to them. Very time consuming but I already have over 50 recipes and of course I make some more than others. The only one that wrote to me but didn't include a recipe was Dave Thomas..he told me his favorite Wendy's meal. kind of neat though. I am not even going to think about a garden this year since we have the plans set to move and goal is for July 20th if all goes as planned.
    Jayden is a real cutie and I used to love to hear a baby laugh...it always makes you smile and you always know they are Happy when they laugh.
    Hugs
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What peace and contentment! (baby) I love those cookies too! That is funny about the bakery..ha...
    I guess everyone is thinking of seeds! love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweetie-pie he is:) Your cookies look so delicious, making me hungry:O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm~ those cookies sound wonderful, Dani!
    Jayden is so cute....

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and son were impressed with what they called "The Best Pie Ever!" I had to ask my friend for the recipe... Marie Callendar's!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?