Thursday, January 16, 2014

Apple Pie

I decided that I'd better do something with the bag of Granny Smith apples we bought at the store so yesterday,  when the house was quiet, I got busy making a pie. I grabbed the first pie crust recipe out of my file, one I hadn't used in quite a long time and now I wonder why as it seems to be the best out of all of them. The recipe makes enough for 5 double crust pies so now I have several packages in the freezer for future baking. The dough isn't too short, doesn't break easily and you roll it up on your rolling pin to put it into the dish, like you see on TV.

Best Ever Pie Crust

To--
     4 c. flour
     1 T. sugar
     1 t. baking powder
     1 t. salt

Cut in 1 3/4 c. lard or 2 c. Crisco (I used Crisco)
Then mix together and add the following-
1/2 c. cold water
1 T. vinegar
1 egg, beaten
Mix well. I divided it into four large rounds of dough. Used one and saved the rest in the freezer, patted into rounds in ziplock bags. It says it makes 5 double crusts but I like to have a little extra so made it into 4 instead.

The filling  I used is just the normal sliced peeled apples, cut in even slices, 1 cup sugar (in our case about the same in Splenda) 1T. cinnamon and a shaking of nutmeg, 1 T. flour, all mixed thoroughly, heaped into the lower crust, dotted with  butter and then the top crust layered on. Pie making seems to becoming a lost art which is a shame as a homemade pie is rather easy to do and tastes so much better than anything you can buy.


2 comments:

  1. This looks like my grandmother's apple pie. I've never had good luck with pie crust and I admire those who do. I bet your pie is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is one of the best, Carol, I think its pretty much fool proof too so give it a try. I've worked for years trying out different pie crust recipes so far this is a winner.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?