Thursday, March 22, 2012

What We've Been Doing..digging in the dirt

We've been rather busy these last few days....Alan built two of these raised beds as we turn our garden into an easier more manageable arrangement.....we're planning on building two more....you see the "grass mats" in between the beds? Our youngest sons works for the company who makes these and he is going to be bringing quite a few more home as we can afford them...the entire area will be covered so no more weeds! Its alot of work but well worth it......we will continue to amend the soil in the beds.....in the last two years, we've gotten most of the rocks out of the soil, added alot of natural fertilizer and other amendments but it still needs more..very poor ground.......

our weather has been wonderful, and only a little chilly at night.....in the 70s during the day.....so we wanted to get the garden going before the hot season comes in late June/July.  The beds can be covered..we are adding a system so we can installed PVC pipe hoops over them for shade cloth.....tomatoes tend to get sun burned here.....

I just discovered the cutest radio show and wanted to share it with you...Southern Fried Radio with Tim & Christy......if you need a laugh,  you will enjoy them...I know we do......

4 comments:

  1. Love your raised beds Dani. We will not have a garden this year because hopefully we will be moving. If we get to find a home in S WI there will still be time for some things if we get the urge. The way our luck has been running the past few years just can't afford to take another risk. I will look for a farmers market and make do with what they have. Nellie is now going to have a podcast and interviewing people and it will be broadcast just like a radio but on line. Her and another person will be interviewing me over the phone so I am hoping my cell doesn't drop the call. I will be blogging about it soon. Have a great week end
    Hugs
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your beds and that is a wonderful idea for the mats in between! I love my raised beds, so much easier to take care of:)Hope you have a wonderful weeeknd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani, I just started listening to that radio podcast too! So much fun I love Christies site I think its the Southern Plate I think.Im still crocheting away look me up on Pinterest if you like I enjoy it all Blessings to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your raised beds look fabulous; I would like to have some, and I like the grass mats too to prevent weeds.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?