Monday, November 1, 2010

Thrift Shop Find and Sandwich Cookies

We had a  nice evening last night...had about 50 -60 trick or treaters..mostly little ones which was fun.and most of the candy is gone which is a good thing too.

On Saturday, I went to the local thrift shop and found these darling candle holders for the  holidays...we're not sure if our holiday things will be out of storage by then, so thought I'd pick up a few things..the thrift shop is getting all decked out ..it looks festive already and this is just the first of November....these two were only $3.00 total so they fell within my frugal budget....I plan on going  back when the store is completely done.

I also made some great chocolate sandwich cookies on Saturday..these are so easy to make, and I got the cake mixes for the great sum of .78 cents each..can't beat that, huh? We stocked up and bought several boxes for the holidays...our bedroom is getting crowded with boxes of canned goods, cake mixes and other things we've found on sale....
Here is the recipe.

Quick Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

2 packages devils food cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
Filling:
1 package softened cream cheese (8 oz)
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla

In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mixes, oil and eggs, mix well. Roll into 1" balls or the size of a walnut.




Place 2" apart on a cooky sheet and bake about 8-10 minutes. Do not flatten. Bake at 350. Cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan..please excused my scratch up cooky sheet, its an old and reliable one...nothing ever sticks to it..we got it at Sears about 25 years ago.




In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add sugar and vanilla, beat until smooth.Spread on bottom half of the cookies and put together...the guys absolutely adore these and my son's fiance is crazy about them too.
I thought I'd start November with this funny Thanksgiving video...we will have several guests..so I'll be preparing early..its only 3 weeks away.


4 comments:

  1. I love your thrft shop finds! Keep 'em coming. My time is so stretched right now that I have not had the chance to do any real thrifting, but I enjoy vicariously through you!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Candle Holders are cute. Nice find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dani ...Love your thrift angels ..and those cookies look divine ...

    We're off to vote today too !!

    Blessings ..Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... i love that recipe and i wanna try it. :) so sorry for the Weight Loss Program.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?