Friday, November 5, 2010

New Pie Crust Recipe


I and pie crust haven't gotten along for years.....my mother would make wonderful pies and the crusts were always flaky and tender...just didn't happen for me..I have been using the Pioneer Woman's pie crust recipe which is a good one but didn't give me the results I really wanted..especially as it would break constantly when I wanted to roll a top crust. Don't you just hate that? You go to all the trouble to make a nice pie, roll out the top crust and it breaks in 3 + places....I have pieced together top crusts more than I care to admit.

I think I've found the answer...in the latest copy of BH&G magazine they feature a cook that makes the most wonderful pies...his name is Alan Carter
this link is for the BH&G's Alan Carter's pie recipes....

here is the crust recipe..I made an apple pie (using sugar free pie filling with extra cinnamon) and it was so easy to roll out...no breaking and the top crust came off the board easily..it has an elastic quality..It cut evenly and the slices lift out of the pan in one piece! Success! Very flaky and tender. Mama would be proud.

Fool Proof Pie Crust ala Alan Carter

 In a very large bowl, combine 3 3/4 c. flour, 1 T. sugar, 1/2 to 1 T. salt (I didn't use that much, he likes a salty crust), 1/2 t. baking powder. Mix well. With a pastry blender, cut in 1 1/4 c. unsalted butter leaving chunks the size of peas. Combine 2/3 c. very cold water, 2 T.  sour cream, and 1 t. vinegar. Add liquid all at once to the flour mixture. Quickly stir to distribute, do not over mix. The dough should be slightly crumbly. let rest on the refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight. Divide into 3 portions, shape into disks and use right away or can be frozen for up to a month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator to use.

I used two of the apple pie and have one in the freezer for another time....maybe pumpkin at Thanksgiving.
I steamed 3 pumpkins and have 4 quarts of pumpkin waiting in the freezer for pie. That recipe will be for another time closer to Turkey Day......

I also wanted to mention that I've added a list of free sample sites...they are trustworthy and although its late now..these little sample items make great stocking stuffers at Christmas....I've gotten little samples of new gum, cologne, post it tags, nutrition bars, etc. Some of the samples take longer to get than others..the list is down on the left hand side and says free stuff....Bless your frugal heart!

3 comments:

  1. Dani - I've used a somewhat similar recipe but mine included an egg yolk - this sounds intriguing and I am making some pies for t'day - I certainly trust your evaluation so I'm saving this for my collection - your apple pie sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crust looks great. Unfortunaetly for my husband, I am not a good baker! Unless you count those little cardboard tubes that you pop open! I think I'm just too scatter brained to get the measurements all right and I may add some things twice, some not all.

    Men and recliners! I got the love seat in but kept the chair too, still have to figure it all out. He has to get a new chair though. There are spots where the fabric is worn through to the wood! "But it's comfortable," he says!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My, That is one fabulous looking pie Dani, I take a piece too please!

    My Mother also makes her crusts so I might try your recipe. I have never been successful with one, so usually just buy already made.

    My grandmother was a pie-maker at a department store and taught my mother but I never showed interest except to eat them.

    I am not much of a cook anyway especially with all the standing these days.

    I love apples and this looks so FINE!
    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?