Monday, November 22, 2010

Pork and Sweet Potato Stew.....


We get the Better Homes and Gardens magazine..this month is a real keeper..so many good recipes and ideas..if you haven't picked up a copy..I highly recommend the December issue......as I had some thick boneless pork chops in the freezer and sweet  potatoes....I decided to make this stew and no one was disappointed...its very good and a little unusual.....

Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
1 pork loin, cut into 1 1/4-1 1/2 cubes (as I had boneless thick chops, I thawed out 4 and used them)
3  T. flour
3 T. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 to 3 stalks celery, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.oz can chicken broth
1 10 oz. bottle apple/cranberry juice (I couldn't find any sugar free so used all apple juice)
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/4" cubes
1 to 2 oz. fresh snipped sage (I couldn't find any so used dried)
Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Place flour in large bowl, add pork and toss to coat. In a large Dutch oven, heat 1 T. of the oil and brown half of the pork cubes...remove and then brown the second half. add more oil if needed.
Add remaining oil and cook onion,celery, cook 5 to 7 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic. Sprinkle in any remaining flour, stir to coat. Slowly add broth, juice and 1 cup water. Return pork to pan, add sweet potatoes, and sage.Bring to a simmer, then lower heat and cover. Cook 20 to 30 minutes more or until pork and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle a little nutmeg over when serving.


I also finished the basket arrangement, bought all the homespun that our local Walmart had.! They are about out and I didn't know if they'd be getting any more in so bought the rest of the bolt.  Its actually nicer than this photo.....as I added some dried orange slices. Someone suggested rag balls so I added a few, thanks for the idea!I have enough matching home spun to make a runner for the china cabinet so that's my next project.
 Work will start next week on the garage but we are not sure if we will get our Christmas things out of storage before the end of December.
If you haven't signed up for my giveaway, please do...we will have the drawing after Thanksgiving....and announce the winner on Saturday, the 27th.

6 comments:

  1. Very cute arrangement....did you wax those pine cones?
    yeah, hardly any WalMart around here handles fabric anymore.
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the stew looks so yummy! Great idea! Love the arrangement, looks so CHRISTmasy...

    Blessings...
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was Better Homes and Gardens that I had in my hands at Kroger yesterday, but it was sold in a sealed plastic bag with another magazine and I couldn't thumb through it first, so I didn't buy it. Now I'll reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the basket.I have the magazine laying on the table but haven't even had the chance to look at it yet.Will try to look at it tonight as several blogs had great things posted about the christmas issue.Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That stew looks really good, especially with this cold storm we're having.

    I'm not sure what it is this year, maybe the economy, maybe just tired of all the glitter around blogland, but I find my self being drawn back to the prim/country style."Homespun" is just such a warm, friendly word!
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving. (Oh, and we never found out who crashed into our yard but it's all fixed now, except the trees!)
    Hugs,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stew sounds yummy. I love yams and sweet potatoes! Happy Thanksgiving Dani!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?