Tuesday, August 7, 2018

More Yard News and a Recipe

We're still working away on the yard. Its taking alot of time as its been so hot. Most days are in the 100 + temperatures. As I type this, its 106 outside. It seems like the heat bothers me worse now that I
am getting older. I can only take about 15 minutes before I need to go inside. Alan feels the same so that's what we do.
During the week, our son works so we do what we can. I get up early so to do the work before it warms up too much,

Alan and a worker removed all the agave cactus from along the fence line. Alan broke out on his right forearm from the juices of these plants and doing research found out they are toxic to humans,
I' m glad we're getting rid of them for all our sakes. They look like this:



What anyone would plant these in a backyard is a puzzle. But they are gone now which is a relief.
The area where they were still needs some work. We're going to rebuild the shed there.

You can see pieces of the cacti which we are getting rid of. We got rid of 6 50 gallons bags of cacti so far.  The shed we're building is large and will cover most of this area. This yard has been a huge job, our most challenging ever but very satisfying to see things falling into place however slowly.

I've been learning how to cook with a electric oven. One thing I like is that it doesn't get the kitchen hot while baking. Nice in the summer time! I baked this Blueberry Coffee Cake this morning.

Ita tasty and nice for a summer breakfast. Easy to make too and our grandson (7) loves it.

Blueberry Coffee Cake
2 cups flour
1 cup plus 1 T. sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 t. salt
Mix all together and then

Stir together 1 beaten egg, 1/2 cup melted butter (cooled)
and 1/2 cup milk. I've found I need a little more milk when mixing.

Mix the wet ingredients with the dry. Then add 2 cups of blueberries. I used frozen ones which work well.
Put in to a 9 by 9 square pan. and bake at 400 for about 22 to 24 minutes. I made a little streusel for the top of this one. Just mix 1 T. soft butter, 1 t. of cinnamon, 1 T. brown sugar, and a little flour, Mix well and drizzle it across the top.

I've baked this several times and everyone likes it. I make it sugar free for my husband as he's diabetic. Just substitue any diabetic sweetner instead of the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking?