Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Veterans Day and Ravioli


Although I am very fond of Thanksgiving...can't neglect Veterans Day which is this Friday......its a holiday to honor our Veterans..and was started after WWI by President Woodrow Wilson..I think this holiday was more celebrated in the past than now, although I am not sure why....most people now just use it as an excuse to get a day off....

In the past, ravioli was served on this day...as President Wilson invited 2,000 soldiers to the White House to have ravioli's as he thought the troops longed for good home cooked meals. At the time, in 1919, ravioli was a very popular dish...and a good excuse to make it again. I know its popular to make your own ravioli noodles with a noodle machine but with many good frozen ravioli products...I just use a higher grade bag of cheese ravioli from Costco....along with a green salad, and garlic toast..makes a wonderful supper.

I know its cheating to use the frozen premade kind..and if you want to  go whole hog,,, here is a site that will how you how to make your own noodles.....How to Make Ravioli Without a Pasta Machine...I am  not that ambitious...working as much as we do..there just isn't time...so much easier to go the other way...but I don't do that very often.. and it does make a delicious meal..after all....what did President Wilson say? "Hunger," he remarked, "breeds madness."

5 comments:

  1. I just told Billy tonight that we need to buy a few of the complete dinners in a bag and they have so many different ones to choose from..They taste great and the price is great for a dinner for 2..usually about $5.00 and some are less. I am very busy lately and don't see it letting up until after Christmas..seems like it snuck up sooner this year (or maybe it is because I am getting older huh) I love Ravaoli too but have no desire to make my own noodles. I will buy the packaged ones and have more time to sit and enjoy my meal that way. I will be doing a lot of cooking and baking next week to get ready for Nellie and her friends visit.
    You are right about Veterans Day..It should be celebrated a little more than the ads on T V for the VD sales

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! Time to enjoy it again for sure now after seeing it here!

    God Bless Our Veterans! Mine is on his way today to the VA hospital for procedures. I am thankful to God for him, and all the others who have served our great nation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if one has time, one could make home-made ravoli...but, I think the bought kind looks wonderful and I'm sure it tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dani,

    Those frozen meals are good!

    Overseas the holiday is Remembrance Day and most everyone wears the red poppy. It is sad that our young people are not taught, except maybe a mention about WW1 and almost nothing about the earlier wars. I was fortunate to have grandparents and great aunts and uncles who often spoke about their fathers and where they served during World War One. It was fascinating conversation.

    Have a nice Holiday Dani.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm~ that looks wonderful, Dani!
    Hope you have a wonderful Veterans Day and a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?