Friday, October 26, 2007

Eagles Wings







But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they
shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be
weary; they shall walk,
and not faint. Isaiah 40





What is the first thing that you can remember? My very first memories are of
walking on a beach with my mom and dad, feeling the crunch of sand
beneath my bare toes,
the sound of sea gulls and the roar of the waves. I think I was about
2 or 3. I had a little red sand pail and shovel.
Grandma and Grandpa were there too. There
was a long pier with a carnival on it or so it seemed....
I remember a carousel with horses, giraffes, and other animals
going round.
This was probably around 1953. A good time to be a child.

My parents had met back in the 30s and married in 1939. They were
married ten years before I came along, war years..then 6 years later,
my brother was born in 1956.....

I was born in China Lake, California where my dad was stationed. Not too many people have heard of China Lake, there is not much there, except for the military base. My parents had tried for several years to have a family. When they moved to the China Lake housing, they went to the NCO club one evening, an older GI was talking with them and told them that within the year, they'd have a baby girl...well, I don't know if he was a prophet but his prediction came true and I was born, Feb. 1951...a year from the date he said. The day I was born, it rained. Rain is a blessing in the desert...it had been 20 years since the last rainfall in that area....every time an important event takes place in my life, it rains. It rained when I was married, and each time, when we brought home our sons.

I found out later the beach was Santa Cruz, California and the pier
really existed...
my parents and grandparents would spend several weeks, every
winter there in a little beach cabin, playing cards, bowling,
and enjoying life. Grandpa was a great one for walking,
he would hike up and down the beach, taking great strides
and I would have to run to keep up with him..



3 comments:

  1. Dani, I just love your blog!!! I had trouble, too, at first with the pictures. Seems to be something with the names? Or how they are filed??? I also have a hard time getting that - add elements - box to come up where I can add links and move things around. This has just made me want to write and write and write! It's been a long time since I really did some serious writing. Thanks for doing this. It will be a great thing to follow each others' lives! Cora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dani What a great blog you made Love it You think you got troubles I can't seem get off the ground with my Stay safe my Dear Friend you in my thoughts and prayers BJ

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?