Tuesday, June 10, 2008

We've got Figs


Alan took some photos of our fruit trees yesterday. Before we got the fig tree, I had no idea how figs reproduced....they form on the new growth....and just pop out...neat, huh? We planted this tree about 3 years ago, it was 6 ft. tall then, and its grown to about 10 ft. now...they are fast growers and a pretty tree...There is a lot of fruit on the tree this year...we lost count after 50. The variety is Brown Turkey..the fruit is a nutty brown color when ripe and very sweet.


I think its grown this year about 3 or 4 more inches at least. They grow to be about 20 ft. tall or so....it seems to like the east side of the house, it gets really hot there in the afternoons, one reason we wanted a tree there to shade the house.
The second tree is our nectarine...its a semi-dwarf and was planted last year...its just loaded with fruit and they are starting to get ripe.


Next year I will know better and thin the fruit out..so they will be small this year..This is its first year of fruit so we are learning.
We also figured out how to harvest the hollyhock seeds, we should have tons.....not ready yet though...they are still blooming. In Alan's research, he found out the tallest hollyhock ever recorded was 24 ft.!

5 comments:

  1. I've never eaten a fresh fig, so I'm assuming they don't grow around here. The nectarines look luscious!

    Hollyhocks are my favorite old fashioned flower. I rarely see them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful, Dani!!!! It's so neat when a tree starts bearing fruit. I've never eaten fresh figs either. Can't wait to hear you tell us what they taste like!

    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fruit trees look great! I just had to pick all my apricots off my tree, I walked up to it and there must have been 10 birds eating them to where all they left was the pit hanging in the tree! There is nothing more rewarding then to eat fruit you have grown yourself! Enjoy!
    Love,Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy - I adore fresh figs - fig preserves are also yummy. My fig tree died last winter - it was planted too far from a water source and our sprinklers just didn't keep it wet enough. Nectarines too - oh my what feasts you'll have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, realmente as árvores estão lindas, com tantos frutos.
    Figos e nectarinas são uma delícia!!!!
    Que sua colheita seja farta e te dê muitas alegrias. Abraços

    Sol

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?