Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Easy Chicken Pot Pie and some random thoughts

This is such a no brainer and yet so yummy...my kids have been asking me to make it every Sunday for the past month....I just made it up but there are very similar things on the internet....
We go to Costco about every two to three months and stock up on canned goods and meat....we get the large pack of canned chicken breast and also the very wonderful dried instant mashed potato flakes...
I use two cans of the chicken which I put our big old iron deep skillet...break up the large chunks..then add one  can of mixed vegetables, drained and one can of cream of chicken soup....I don't drain the chicken as the broth mixes with the soup which is what you want..mix these ingrediants well, heating gently...while I am doing this I heat the oven up to 350 or so......when all is mixed well, I make a pot of instant mashed potatoes and when its done...put big dollops of the potatoes across the top of the chicken mixture...and then some grated cheese....slide this mixture into the hot oven and bake for about 20 minutes or so...the potatoes get a little brown on top usually..and thats it...
I can never keep leftovers of this as its gone immediately......and my kids think I am a great cook...and who am I to disagree? usually serve with a green salad and perhaps some type of fruit...


Today we had three jobs in Oceanside, ca..the first was a real beast as the front door lock wouldn't open..took Alan almost an hour to get the door open...he drilled and drilled, until the lock was completely destroyed and it still wouldn't open...finally he managed to pry it apart..this was a tough one as Oceanside was experiencing the hottest day of the year at 103 degrees...

the others weren't so bad..one was in a senior housing tract..guess the senior (we count ourselves in the group by the way) was a bit of a swinger and had parties with young girls, and drugs....all the neighbors let us know how glad they were he was leaving.....the house had a very interesting lay out with a inner courtyard with lots of potential but was in a very sad condition...

I mentioned to the realtor that Fannie Mae should give these type of houses, like the old Home Stead act...the homeowner would agree to live in the house for a period of years,and improve the property...in turn, the house would be deeded over to them...sounded good to me anyway..

.but then I get alot of "off the wall" ideas...for example, I think the best stimulus for the country would be to give every tax payer over the age of 55 or 60 a million dollars....think of it....we could all retire, opening up thousands and thousands of jobs for the younger people....part of the stipulation would be you would either pay off your home loan or buy a new house...which would  help the housing market....I could go on but  you get the idea.....

5 comments:

  1. We are in 60's and wearing light sweats and long sleeves. I just came in from the porch and was thinking I need a campfire!

    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Ideas Dani..If you run for office I will be voting for you :)
    Had to wear sleeves here too...was in the 60's but very windy and my dogs are loving it. Scott is coming tomorrow insted of Friday so will be busy tomorrow morning but I am sure it will be a good visit..He Loves Nature and thats all there is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the Home Stead act, but more so, I like the million $$ idea! ha. Great recipe....I should drag out my iron skillet, they are so versatile. I will use your recipe tomorrow with my leftover costco rotisserie chicken! love,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum-my. I made spicy chicken curry for dinner tonight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chicken pot pie sounds so yummy, Dani~ no wonder there are no leftovers!
    I agree with Nancy~ run for office and I'll vote for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?