Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thoughts on a Tuesday

I'm downsizing and selling a few things on my other blog...this miniature cream and sugar set is really cute and in perfect condition....trimmed in 22 kt. gold....only about 2 inches across....I also have alot of pink Depression glass I collected when I was a young bride...Depression glass is popular..what I especially like about it as its still quite usable......I just don't use pink  any more.
This large bowl is perfect..has little feet on the bottom....very useful for serving...I like the ruffled look...although I have several Depression glass identification books...I haven't found what pattern and maker this is yet so if you do, please let me know....it measures about 10" across....
I have more, but am having a problem finding the perfect place for photos....something I am working on....


Today we are having another rain storm...mild but wet....very unusual for us as our official rainy season is over..the garden is growing like crazy so the plants like it..we've had to tie up all the tomato plants 3 times so far in just two weeks as they are growing so fast. Lots of tiny green ones so it won't be long and I am hope we get more sunny days so they will ripen properly. We're so looking forward to biting into the first ripe tomato!
There are several tiny zucchini and yellow crook neck squash ...the beans are doing well too..so far no disease or bug problems..Thanking God for good fresh garden grown vegetables....talking to neighbors, I don't think they realize how much better vegetables taste grown in your own garden....plus these are all organic..no sprays or poisons used....and we are turning more and more to  heirloom plants..not genetically modified (GM)....I've been thinking about why our nation has become so heavy and sick.Its probably due to several factors....I am very susipious of GM plants....plus have a growing dislike for most meats as there are so many hormones and antibiotics being fed to cattle, and pigs....organic meat is rather expensive so I am tryng to do a modified plan....just thoughts at this moment but am sure leaning that way.....what is everyones thoughts on this?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, oh! You have opened Pandora's box! I have a lot to say about the, but let me start to say i think you are right to be very suspicious of them. I could write pages about this.

    I'm trying to do gardening this year, but i'm a challenged gardener at best, and the growing season in Big Bear is NOT ideal. Still, for our own safety (and to fight the high cost of organic food that is shipped in) i think most folks would be better off to try and grow at least some of their own food and to buy heirloom seeds and to begin to save seeds. It isn't hard to buy a couple (expensive) heirloom tomatoes at the local farmer's market and save a few seeds from them.

    I have been poisoned several times at pot lucks and recently a local salad bar. I'm highly reactive to chemicals. It has gotten so that i don't trust food other people bring. (Even a fruit salad i thought was safe was toxic; the lady had put Splenda on it and i ended up in ER.) I had assumed several things to be homemade when they were from Costco. The chemicals in these items made me very, very ill.

    Many people don't give this much thought because they don't seem to get sick, although they are overlooking the weight gain, obesity, increase in diabetes and cancer and heart disease. But once you begin to react to food as tho it was poison, you begin to look at it very differently. Although, i'm afraid, many people with diabetes or cancer don't relate it to their diet, and i know several who, even if they recognize the food issue, want a pill so that they can continue to eat whatever and avoid the consequences.

    Ok, enough. Sorry, i didn't mean to say so much, tho this is a tiny portion of how i really feel. I do think that in our arrogance of thinking we know how to deal with things we are destroying the good earth God gave us to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are having your cold rain today, Dani- it's only 52 degrees here! *UGH*
    Love the little cream and suger set and the plate- gorgeous colors.
    By the way- Lily is a "wannabe" farm dog.... I need to do a post about her farm misadventures!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?