Thursday, May 26, 2011

Handkerchiefs

I've been going through my things....trying to downsize and found some of my grandmothers handkerchiefs...she was a prolific crocheter and nothing escaped her crochet  hook, including these simple cotton handkerchiefs...they are in perfect condition and just look at the pretty trim she put on each one....tiny stitches.....she never went anywhere without a pretty hanky.....they are for sale under vintage linens in my selling blog.......I found other ones also....

 The top one has lovely tiny embroidery and the edging is tatted...I never realized she knew how to tat......isn't it pretty? I found some printed ones also but haven't taken photos of them yet..and also a pretty Christmas handkerchief......


 I think times were better back then...most mothers stayed home and raised their children....ladies always dressed nicely even to just go to the grocery store.... I remember Mama and I would get all dressed up to go on the bus downtown to shop....we often went to the drugstore for ice cream...I remember sitting on a stool at the ice cream counter, dangling my feet, waiting for a strawberry ice cream cone..watching the soda "jerk" pile it high on the cone.....nothing tasted so good.....I still prefer strawberry ice cream...

5 comments:

  1. Your memories are like my memories. My grandmother always dressed in a suit to go shopping, see the doctor etc. Always had a hankie and a clean pair of gloves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful hankies, Dani...
    My momma used to dress up to go to the grocery store too... sweet memories. I really wish people still tried to at least look presentable when they go anywhere... I've actually seen peopl at the Walmart in their pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the good old days!
    My Grandma always had a nice hanky in her apron pocket!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I had gained several vintage hankies and yes they bring memories! I was thrilled to have received many of the hankies because I needed many of them to complete a dream project.
    I blogged about it... http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/2010/11/finally-my-dream-kitchen-curtains.html

    I love how the project turned out.. I think many of you would like this idea!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?