Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dried Apple Pie and more


Dried Apple Pie
3 cups dried apples
2 1/2 apple juice or cider
your favorite pie crust recipe
3/4 c. sugar or splenda
1 t. cinnamon
2 T. flour
1/4 t. nutmeg
dash of salt
heat juice or cider to boiling and add to the dried apples in a bowl..let them soak for about an hour. Cook apples in the juice until tender about 10-15 minutes. Take off heat and mix in rest of ingredients (except crust)

Roll out your crust and place in a 9 inch pie pan...Pour apple mixture into prepared pan...cover with your top crust....Brush top crust with milk and  you can sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon on top if desired...Bake at 400 for 50 minutes or until done....
Warning....the dried apples expand quite a bit and in my case, lifted up the top crust....it does go down while cooling though......

We are going through all the goods we canned last fall....doing a little inventory and Alan is building some shelving in the garage for them...I discovered we still had quite a few bags of dried apples hence the above pie...its very good and sure saves alot of time peeling and coring apples...

This has been a very slow week workwise for us...we are going back to Borrego Springs tomorrow  to re key another house.....such a nice trip we're looking forward to it...this time its in another resort area with a  lake.


I finished all the toweling I've been embroidering...the vintage striped ones and the flour sack too......these are the best I've done so far, some of my best work......they are listed on my selling blog....its been very cloudy here and cool so the photos aren't as bright as the toweling really is..they are much nicer than the photos show ...
.

5 comments:

  1. Your pie recipe sounds super delicious! Cute towels too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you dry your own apples? Can you explain how to do it? The pie sounds great. My hubby would love it.
    I love your towels. They are darling.
    Have fun on the trip.
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  3. that pie looks fabulous and sounds even better - I appreciate your practical cooking experiences - none of that stuff of buying a bunch of unusual ingredients which I never use again! Thanks - I am thinking of doing dried apples this year - don't have ready access to an apple orchard but may still try it - didn't you do a blog once about how you dry apples?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe.When my mother was alive my brother kept begging her to make a dried apple pie I don't think she ever did, even though she was the best pie maker ever!! Anyway, since we have an over abundance of apples this year i thought i would try this, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my mother was alive, my brother kept begging her to make a dried apple pie, i don't think she ever did even though she was the best pie maker.Since we have an abundance of apples this year i thought i would give it a try. thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?