Friday, December 17, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Bars

I made a pan of pumpkin bars the other day.....really good..and so easy to make.....thought I'd share the recipe ...this is from the cookbook "101 Things to Do with a Cake Mix" by Stephanie Ashcraft...

Pumpkin Pie Bars

Bottom Layer:
1 can (29 oz) pumpkin
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. salt

Top Layer:
1 yellow cake mix
3/4 c. chopped walnuts
1 1/2 sticks melted butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients for the bottom layer. Spread mixture in a glass 9 x 13 inch pan.
Pat yellow cake mix over bottom layer, just sprinkle it evenly across top and make sure all bottom layer is covered. Spread walnuts over dry mix. Cover dry mix with melted butter.
Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown. This is very good...having made it, I recommend the longer cooking time.....the entire cookbook is very good..lots and lots of good and easy recipes...I like such recipes...guess I'm not much of a "gourmet" cook...there is so much you can do with cake mixes and we can get them for less than a dollar a box during sales....I try to stock up. As some are predicting, inflation is coming so we've been stocking up on basics...flour has been rather cheap right now so I've got some 5 lb. bags in the deep freeze.....want to get more...we have canned goods too and when the garage is finished...we are going to have some cabinets out there for storage....
I am also doing some stitching for the spring now....and will be stocking my stitchery shop right after the holidays......


Our weather has been very rainy...the contractors haven't been here for a day or two...just too wet, I guess..we are expecting a big storm..supposed to be 3 to 6 inches in the mountains and valleys...and we are in the valley so time will tell....no worries though as our house isn't on the river or flood plain...

6 comments:

  1. Oi Dani, copiei a receita, deve estar uma delicia!!!!!!!!!!
    Abraços e desejo-te boas festas.
    Beijos

    Sol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds just so good, Dani! In fact, I looked on Amazon.com for the cookbook and sure enough, it was there in the Kindle version for $3.99. I didn't know that you could have Kindle downloaded to your PC for free. Now that I have it, I've used it for a number of books that I wanted, and now I can do this cookbook, too. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a great little cook book..I have given out a couple as gifts in the past...everyone has enjoyed them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That recipe looks soooo good Dani..will be hard to make a decision as to what to bake for when Nellie comes...so many bloggers with such good recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy -- I'm going to make one for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?