Friday, December 10, 2010

Angel Food Ministries, Garage Sales, Garage Construction, oh my!

We have most of our decorating done..its a little chaotic here with the workers pounding, using a compressor, and talking loudly...plus some of the things we had stored in the garage are in our hallways and bedrooms..the weather has just been too wet at times to leave them outside.....Alan got a large tarp and covered up his shelving on the side of the house, away from the noise and construction.

I have kept the living room area free of clutter so we have a peaceful place to relax. No gas right now as the gas lines go through the garage so no stove, or hot water but that's very temporary...it should be restored today. The contractor suggested for us to go to a motel but after  60 days in one, we declined..I'd rather camp out as we are doing....we have the microwave, electric grill, a small electric oven so we are good to go....its gotten warmer so we haven't needed the furnace on...

Yesterday, we went to garage sales...I found a wonderful new bread machine! We'd be looking for one at various stores but they are really expensive, well over $100....I found one for only $25.00, it was new. The older gentleman who was selling it said he "had" to have it but then never used it..it even have all the recipe books in it...I was so delighted, went home and made a loaf of bread! We've made our own bread for years and I've gone through (worn out) two machines so this makes our third one...Alan has had a hard time finding store brand breads that are sugar free...we also found some DVDs we'd been eyeing...Inspector Morse mysteries. for only $4.00 for each season...and some other BBC mysteries that we like.....I feel like we already had our Christmas, huh?

If you've never heard of Angel Food ministries....I wanted to mention it...many people are suffering this holiday season, what with loss of jobs, loss of  homes, etc....or struggling like we are at times financially...anyway..this ministry is wonderful, its non-profit and you can order good wholesome food at low cost....each month there are several choices to pick from with the boxes ranging from about $21 to $41. You pick them up at various churches and organizations and order them online...no embarrassing questions or income requirements..its on the honor system. You can also donate to help suffering  military families and they've started a ministry to help hungry children....I can't think of a more worthy charity this year. So if you are reading this, please check out the site....

4 comments:

  1. Love your basket centerpiece, Dani!!! Just so lovely and sooooo country prim. I'm glad you found your bread machine. Gotta love those garage sales!!!! Nothing better than a fresh loaf of home made, fresh bread. I, too, have come to appreciate the ministry of Angel Food Ministries. It started several years ago in our area in one local church, and has now caught on to where almost every church in the area is a pick up site. I've never been disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bowl Dani...I have never had a bread machine so I guess I will never miss it if I never have it...maybe some day :)
    I applied for the Angel Food near us and called and left a message on their machine and never got a call back so I am happy you posted a link..I was able to find another one and is 17 miles from here but we do shop there a lot so will call them tomorrow (which is the deadline) and will let you know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a bread machine at a garage sale --kept it a year -- never used it -- so I sold it at another sale! Hope your bread turns out good -- we don't eat a lot of bread which is probably why I never made any.

    We know about Angel Food Ministries -- we don't use them but my Mom does and she likes the TV dinners since she is alone and 88 years old. It gives her a little variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post on the Angel Food ministries. We don't have one in the city where we live but our church has a food basket all year long that is donated to folks in need in that area. Our church is small but we also donate to the military and to the mitten tree program. Thanks for reminding us that Christmas is a season of giving not getting! Also, love your centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?