Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mom's Recipe Box.....



Another vintage recipe..this one was originally from my paternal grandmother who sent us these bars every Christmas....along with rice krispie treats.......



Lemon O Nut Bars

Mix the following together..this is the cooky base
2 c. flour
1/2 c. shortening
1/4 c. brown sugar
Add a speck of milk (Grandma used condensed milk but I used regular and it works fine) so you can pack the mixture into a 13 by 9 inch baking pan....making a thin cooky base..
Bake this at 350 for about 10-12 minutes so its lightly brown..
Meanwhile mix the following together:
3 eggs, well beaten
2 c.brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 c. finely shredded coconut
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
2 T. lemon juice
1 t. grated lemon rind
Mix together and pour over the cooked cooky base..
Bake 25 minutes at 350....cook and cut into bars,,
These are so so good...I have to confess I ate too many of them...! They can be frozen also to have something when company comes over...great with coffee...

You can sure tell this recipes' been used!

My computer isn't working too well..I hope I didn't get a virus....I do have virus protection so don't know what the problem is....ran a diagnostic with no results to speak of...maybe its just getting old and worn out......
Tomorrow I'll try to post some of the pretty cottages we saw up in Upland.....that is if the computer is agreeable...and Old Sock is our private nicknames my friend Kay and I have for each other...one of my dearest friends..we've been friends since 6th grade...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my...those lemon o'bars are going to be the ruin of my dieting attempt but WHAT A WAY TO GO! They have everything I love in them!

    You ought to write a cookbook from your wonderful vintage recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like something Billy would really love...I will be glad when I can get a new printer...you should make a cook book of all your yummy recipes...maybe just a small one with 100 recipes.
    I just posted a new post and a few new items..check it out when you get time ...insidenanashead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?