Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wednesday Dog of the Week

Say hello to Pepper Ann...she is a senior Rat Terrier...I met her personally and can say she is a very friendly sweet dog......her favorite thing to do is ride in the car...she just loves it...and would make a great traveling companion.....she's completely house trained, walks on a leash well, loves other dogs and children....what's not to like? what a sweetheart! Rat terriers are sometimes mistaken as Jack Russells but have a different temperament....like Jack Russels, they are active terriers but have a off switch and love to lounge..they are calmer and more sensitive than Jacks.
They are easier to train than Jacks also....and are sensitive to their owners moods...make a great family pet.....
Life is always busy at the dog rescue....Don works from morning until night, sometimes into the night...if not tending to the dogs care, to the website and watching over the owner, Elizabeth as she is slowing down with age..she is 91.......I am sure having the rescue has extended her life and given her much joy in her older years and she is a treasure herself having been born in 1918.
You can read more about the remarkable rescue here and the woman who started it.


You may have wondered how the lock out went that I mentioned yesterday....it went fine..no worries.....the sheriff's got there late and went up to the home with mace cans ready but no dogs were there...thankfully....they motioned for Alan to come and pick the lock so they could go through the home..Alan couldn't pick the lock, but got his handy, Popper tool and unlocked it quickly...no one was home and he got the job done easily...

later, we went to south LA to re key a house.....I went with him this time...it was in a,shall we say, less prosperous area?...there were security bars on all the windows....we got in easily and I helped by taking off all the locks, he re keyed them and I put them back in...there were 10 locks including the gate and garage...lots of people around...we overheard some interesting conversations and saw some suspicious goings on....but kept to ourselves, did the job and left.
Neither of us felt any hostility.....
Its a neighborhood I wouldn't want to be at in the evening....the neighborhood was all vintage homes...the house we re keyed was a cottage with two bedrooms...still had the nice woodwork, although it had been painted a garish red.
I wondered if some of the stimulus money could be used to help these neighborhoods and give the people there more hope.....there were two little boys playing in their backyard and I wondered what it would be like to live in such a place....and what their future would be....I prayed that God would bless and protect them...

4 comments:

  1. Miss pepper ann is so cute, wonder when she last had a nail trim? Glad all went well yesterday, I would have been so scared, probably would have peed my pants...be glad I wasn't there, LOL!!!!! Have a great day Dani!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet little face and just looks like she is looking for someone to love her and give her the forever home she needs.
    I am enjoying my puppies more every day even though they are still puppies but are the size of a big Dog...they still act like puppies and love our attention. I couldn't imagine them being in a shelter looking for a new home...especially if they had to be seperated...they stick very close to each other all the time.
    It is so nice that your Son is such a caring person..I don't think I could work at a shelter...I am to emotional :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, she's a precious ol' doggie gal. Hope she gets a home. So many people don't want the older doggies...and they are often just the best running buddies you could get.

    Glad the lock-out went well! Such a world we live in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dani! Wanted to thank you for sending a sweet buyer my way named Sherri. She ordered a "Fruits of the Spirit" Doll from my Selling Blog and says she will be buying more for the holidays. I'm sooo excited and can't thank you enough dear friend! This has been a God send, believe me. Blessings & Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?