Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday

I was checking my email this morning and got one from Jack and Friends...they are having a terrific sale on antique labels...these are sticky backed for use in the kitchen and also in crafting....limited supply and free shipping.....I wanted to pass this along to my friends who like to decorate and craft as these are terrific and a great deal...I'd buy quite a few if my PayPal account was larger!


Have you heard there is going to be a huge sugar shortage? be sure to stock up for the holidays...I intend on buying at least two 10 lb. bags, sugar doesn't spoil and can be frozen..we don't use much sugar ...but I know you that have big families may be baking alot of cookies and such.....20 lbs will probably last us well into next year....
There will be probably be other shortages in the coming months as our California farms are literally drying up because of a tiny fish (not even a native) that have shut down the irrigation.
I've read of acres of dead and dying fruit trees, dry fields, etc....a few farm towns are becoming ghost towns....all because of a tiny smelt.....as California has in the past been the bread basket to the rest of the states, be prepared...
I've been cooking up alot of our tomatoes and making sauce.....freezing it mostly...we plan on growing more tomatoes next year as they have done really well ....we have about 7 plants, next year going for about 20 so I will be canning. There are just a few quarts this year plus all we can eat and give away......
There are many sites for storing, preserving, etc.....I will give you just a few links.....
Simple Canning for a Simple Life
The Art of Stockpiling
Pantry Talk
Grocery StockPile List
and
a series of videos on dehydrating foods on youtube
we have a dehydrator, canning supplies, jars, etc. so are well prepared plus a small deep freeze...
believe me when I say a deep freeze is a good investment and they are fairly cheap...our small one was less than $100 new.... as our family is small, its big enough and uses little energy....

I feel like the Lord is telling us to be prepared for the future.....its going to be rough!

3 comments:

  1. Dani~ say it isn't so... A SUGAR SHORTAGE???? Oh no, I live on the stuff, lol! Actually I think I did hear that on the news, thanks for reminding me I will stock up:) My gosh, this country is going right back into the great depression, how sad! Hope your having a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sometimes we go through 20 pounds a month! Thanks for letting me know, I will try and buy some soon! We were blessed to find a huge deep freezer on craigslist for $75. I have a lot of squash, zucchini, and meats in it already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I make a lot of gingerbread houses so I am going to get some bags of the powdered sugar now, thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?