Thursday, July 3, 2008

One of my favorite postcards...the bears look like they are really having fun...I remember as a child, my dad setting off firecrackers like those in our backyard in the desert...think I jumped a bit too!
Boots seems better today, he is more lively and eating so maybe he will be alright for awhile...we will just enjoy the time we have left with him... he is not suffering at all which is a good thing...

Do you like Gooseberry Patch recipes ? About a month ago, the website was giving away cookbooks and I signed up....got mine last week...great recipes...I got 2 little paperback books...Family Favorites and Fall Favorites.....we tried the coleslaw recipe and really love it...so I thought I would share it with you...I don't see the giveaway on the website anymore so I guess
it is over but they do share a free recipe...right now its Nectarine Crisp...here is the link to the website..http://www.gooseberrypatch.com/

Fruity Coleslaw
2 c. red cabbage, finely shredded
2 c. green cabbage, finely shredded
1/2 c. carrot, peeled and grated
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
1 c. raisins
1 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. white vinegar
Combine cabbages, carrot, apple and raisins in a large bowl. Stir together mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar: add to cabbage mixture and toss to evenly combine. Makes about 5 cups.

This is very very good and easy as I used the packaged coleslaw that you can get in the produce department of the grocery store and its cheap...I get the coleslaw mix (already all shredded) for .98 cents....and of course, we used the bakery type Splenda instead of sugar...

Alan brought home some nice steaks for the 4th and I plan on making this coleslaw...probably grill some potatoes with the steaks too....I slice the potatoes, put them on a square of heavy foil, add a dab of butter, a few shreds of sweet onion, and whatever herb I have on hand, either rosemary or dill...fold this all up in the foil and throw the packets on the grill,they cook in about the same time as the steaks...
then after they are removed from the foil, people can top them with shredded cheese and/or sour cream. I almost forgot, before I put the potatoes on the foil, I spray a little Pam on it so the spuds won't stick. Pam is a stable in our house....saves so many calories and elbow grease...I found some nice red potatoes at the store I am planning to use...

We always put up a flag and last year I bought a nice door hanger from Penny of Miss Poosties Primitives for our front door...I added a rusty wire hanger to the back.

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet little door hanger, Dani! I might come to your house and swipe that!
    (LOL... 3,000 miles to steal a door hanger?)
    I recieved my Gooseberry books about 2 weeks ago; don't you love them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend, Dani,
    Achei a receita do Coleshaw uma delícia!
    Fiz a receita e minha família gostou tanto que tive de fazer novamente. Obrigada.
    Um abraço

    Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked those gooseberry patch books. Aren't they cool? You can't beat free cookbooks.

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?