Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bread Pudding....

We had some leftover homemade bread from the bread machine day....and I decided to go very old fashioned and make some bread pudding! I've seen bread pudding listed in many restaurant menus lately...guess its back in fashion again...I used my 1950 Betty Crocker cookbook and think it turned out very well.....it was so easy to make, I wondered why I haven't done it sooner...great way to use leftover stale bread....with prices as they are...its good not to waste anything.....


Bread Pudding ala 1950

2 cups milk
Heat to scalding... Pour over.
4 cups coarsely chopped bread crumbs
Cool and add...
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar ( or use Splenda)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 t. salt
1/2 cup raisins
1 t. cinnamon or nutmeg


Pour into a 1 1/4 qt. casserole dish, buttered. Oven temperature 350 for about 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted into pudding comes out clean. Serve warm with or without whipped cream.

We had one job in Spring Valley today and of course, are taking tomorrow off...Spring Valley is about 90 miles one way from here....but it was a beautiful day, blue skies and cool temperatures, a pretty drive. Afterwards we did a little Christmas shopping...got baby Jayden a couple of things...living with us, there isn't much space for many toys and such...but we did get him something for his crib to play with..and a darling stuffed monkey....he's growing so fast, out of all his newborn clothes already...and is fast outgrowing the 6 months sizes so we will be looking at larger clothes for next year.....at least we got started....

I am also going to start the baby quilt...bought the kit a while ago and decided if I don't get started now, it won't get done...its an ABC quilt...I ordered it from a favorite shop online...The Calico Spice Shop

She has many nice things to embroider and quilt...pillowcases, tablecloths and runners, quilt blocks, cheater panels, etc. so if you're looking to make something for a loved one....please check her little store out...I've ordered from her many times and am always pleased...she has good prices and fast shipping...most of the products she sells are made here in the States also......

3 comments:

  1. really like bread pudding - good with some chopped up apple in it too! You stay productively busy - always like to check in with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread pudding is so good. Was tickled to see you used your 1950`s Betty Crocker cookbook. I`ve been using my old cookbooks more frequently. It seems to me some of those recipes are more flavorful. I think of my cookbooks as great reference material too.

    Thanks for the shop link too.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom used to make chocolate bread pudding and I hated it BUT...I love the plain (vanilla?) version -- I love it with peaches inside and I think I would loved the chopped apples, also. Hummmm, I think I may try some soon. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?