Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Musings

This photos is of my mother's family....the little girl on the far left is my mom, next to her is one of her two sisters, Alyce, the boy is my Uncle Marvin, and the girl with her arm across my grandma's shoulders is my Aunt Zelda....My grandmother was Jessie and my grandfather was James..This photo was taken right around the Great Depression of the early 1930s. They are all gone now with the exception of my Aunt Alyce who is in her 90s.....sorry, I don't have the scanner hooked up or I would have scanned the photo.
The younger girls have on handmade dresses that my grandmother sewed. Grandma always made most of their clothes, growing up and she even made a few for me....I still have a pretty little girls dress she made for me in the 1950s which I cherish.
The photo below is my grandmother's parents..my great grandparents...my great grandfather Henry Wagner was the son of German emmigrants who came here sometime before 1857. They lived in the area around Ottumwa, Iowa. and farmed. They later moved to Brunelda, Montana to homestead dry farming.This photo was taken on their Montana farm sometime before 1917.
I have a whole box of old photos, some older than these but haven't gotten them organized or scanned yet.....Grandpa had a huge trunk of photos, we only got a small part of them. After he passed, some of the family thought no one would be interested and threw them out (!!!!)
Many in my family knew the Lord and my grandmother was no exception.......when she was very ill with cancer...all the children came to stay with them and one morning, Grandma had been napping, she got up for lunch and told all of them.."I had the oddest dream...two people came to me and said they were taking me home...I told them I was home...they said they'd come back at
2:00 to get me.." No one thought too much about the dream but that afternoon she passed away in her sleep at 2:00. True story.

As I've gotten older, I've come to realize that our families are part of that great cloud of witnesses the scripture speaks about....all of those who have given their lives to the Lord. I am sure they are rooting for their children, don't you? Do you have family that were believers?
I've done research on Alan's family too and its the same...his great grandfather used to tell Bible stories to the neighbor children and was respected man in the community.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

2 comments:

  1. I've always been so encouraged by the scripture about a great cloud of witnesses - my mother's parents and my parents are there as is my late husband and my dear recently departed MIL. Reassuring isn't it that we have those who have gone before us cheering for us and wanting us to become what the Lord intended for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have these old photos! Just loved reading and seeing them. Blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?