Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tomato Sauce

We were looking at all the tiny tomatoes that have grown this year..wondering what to do with them...we thought the Amish Paste, Roma and others would be a good size..but they have only grown slightly larger than cherry tomatoes. I don't know if it was a mild spring and relatively cool summer....Alan picked a huge bowl of them and I decided to cook them down...and then run them through the food mill....

this is the result...
I let this sauce cook down most of the afternoon until it got nice and thick...then was able to can 7 pints! I added a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice to each jar to make sure they were acid enough.....I plan on making at least another canner full before we are done.....



We are growing some heirloom tomatoes in pots..they are doing much better and are actually a bigger size.....not ripe yet though...
.
They won't get sun burned like those in the ground as they are under the patio cover....may take a little longer to ripen but well worth it.....
we've been a little busy this week...two jobs today and possible two tomorrow......God is good!

5 comments:

  1. You are lucky Dani to get enough tomatoes to can..I did grab a few green tomatoes and sliced them and laid them on a cookie sheet and froze them and then put in zip lock bag to fry when Nellie comes by this Sunday...We have probably only had 6 tomatoes that were worth eating and most of the rest of the garden is burnt up..I do have some blossoms on my gourd plants though..probably because I didn't really care aboutthem and planed them on back side of garage. I will not do this again next year..will go smaller and I think I will plant all the tomatoes next year in pots. Your sauce looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm~ that looks wonderful, Dani. The problem I have when I grow tomatoes is I never let them get red... I pluck em' while they're green and fry them! *YUMMY*

    ReplyDelete
  3. dani -- nothing like home-canned sauce from your own homegrown tomatoes :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks just wonderful! Love home grown tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani, o visual está fantástico!
    E o sabor deve estar super bom, pois tudo que é feito em casa fica uma delícia, totalmente natural e sem produtos químicos.
    Um abraço e obrigada por compartilhar conosco.
    Hugs and blessing.

    Sol

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?