Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pecan Pie...and Canyon Lake

I've been wanting to make a pecan pie for some time and was in a puzzlement how to make it sugarless....looking at agave syrup a light bulb went off! Of course, substitute agave for corn syrup..after all they are both natural..so here is the result and it is very good..excellent really....one of the best pecan pies I've ever made......says husband....if you haven't tried cooking with agave syrup, don't be afraid...its a wonderful natural sweetener and is low glycemic. The recipe is just standard from my old Betty Crocker 1950 cookbook...with a no sugar twist....that saying, its NOT low calorie but so yummy!

Southern Pecan Pie
Heat oven to 375.
Make pastry for a one crust pie..and line your pie pan...
 I used a 9" pie pan.
Beat together:
3 eggs
2/3 c. Splenda (or sugar)
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. butter (I used the real thing) melted and cooled
1 c. agave syrup (or dark corn syrup)
Mix in:
1 cup pecan halves
Pour mixture into your pastry-lined pan. Bake 40 to50 minutes or until set and crust is slightly brown. Cool. serve cold or slightly warm.


Today we had a re key job on a rental house in Canyon Lake....I'd been in the gated community before, but this house was right on the lake itself....opening the sliding glass doors of the house....the lake smell brought sharp memories of my grandparents cabin outside of Spokane, Wa at Deer Lake....we spent happy days there...
the house was an older one and needed some TLC...but the view out the back was wonderful....we walked down the steps to the dock and took this photo...

The lake is stocked and there is good fishing..mainly small mouth bass...I think it would be so fun to walk outside and go fishing from your own dock, or take your small boat like this family is doing....no swimming or skiing is allowed though...paddle boats are allowed.

5 comments:

  1. wow thats a beautiful pie, I will have to try this, thanks for sharing,
    what a beautiful spot to live !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billy loves anything with Pecans and Pecan pie is his favorite. Pecans are VERY expensive here but I might have to break down and buy some and try your recipe but I will probably cheat and buy a frozen crust. Awesome pictures of the lake Dani..we have a 23 ft deep pond behind our house and it is also stocked with 3 different kind of fish. Billy used to fish every week end when I met him but he has yet to go to the pond and throw a line in the water. I wish he would at least try but kind of cold here now for him to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven`t had pecan pie since we moved from the South. We love to fish and a lakeside house such as you`ve shown would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm~ your pie looks good Dani... pecan pie is one of my hubby's favorites.
    Very beautiful place~ I think it would be neat to live near the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be awesome to see the water like that family did and I say DID or you would not have been there. Rough times are everywhere.
    My DH is watching "Gold Rush" on TV in Alaska and wow, the scenery there is awesome. Well, he just turned and the N.O. Saints are ahead in their game finally tonight.

    I have been on the front porch many times today just watching the rain here.

    See you later and Nancy also! It is nice that we have been blogging so long and keeping in touch!And, making new friends.

    You do cook from scratch like my Mother does. I haven't made a pie in forever it seems. Bob's diabetes is worse so maybe the agave would be good but I doubt the local grocery's here have it like you probably do. Do you get it from a health food store or local store.

    Isn't agave a cacti? Oh, wait I know it is in tequila, I think? Just kidding!

    I have been cracking some nuts tonight, "NOT walnuts though", I will stick with pecans also. They are expensive here also but it is a very popular Christmas pie. I have some on my coffee table to munch on...

    Smiles, Cyndi

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?